Information is provided for GCSE study 2024-2026. This page will be refreshed for future years of entry in the Autumn/Winter terms.
The transition from Key Stage 3 to 4 is an exciting time for any young person as they now begin to consider their future and make decisions about the subjects they wish to choose. The choices students make are important and will give direction to future career paths in either further/higher education or apprenticeships. It is essential that students follow a broad and balanced curriculum that will allow them to access their chosen path post 16.
At Saint Gregory’s, all students will study the following Core Subjects towards a GCSE qualification:
- English – both Language and Literature
- Religious Education
- Science – Biology, Chemistry and Physics (either as separate 3 GCSES or Trilogy 2 GCSEs)
In addition, all students will study:
- Core Physical Education
- Personal, Social, Health Education (PSHE)
Students will add to their academic portfolio with three additional Optional Subjects. Further information, introductory videos and links to exam boards can be found via the web pages below. We hope that you find these presentations useful in finding out more about course content and the future subject pathways available.
Year 9 students should now have made their choices for the 2024-25 academic year following the timeline below.
– Parents’ Evening – Thursday 4th January – Teachers were able to discuss your child’s progress across the year, and discuss the potential for study at Key Stage 4.
– Options Evening – Thursday 11th January – Parents/carers and students were invited into school to discover more about the options available, and ask questions to subject leads.
– Final Choices – students have now selected their three optional subjects available.
– We aim to satisfy as many students as possible, but please be aware that sometimes subjects do clash in options blocks and very occasionally we cannot run subjects due to lack of demand. It’s important to consider reserve subjects for each of your choices.