To encourage reading for pleasure while raising money for seriously ill children, Year 7 are taking part in Readathon 2014. Readathon is a national reading event which supports three children’s charities: CLIC Sargent, ReadWell and Roald Dahl’s Marvellous Children’s Charity.
All Year 7 students have set themselves an individual reading challenge and they will be asking family and friends to sponsor them for completing this challenge over a four week period. The Readathon is also open to interested students in other years, please see Miss. Stephenson or the librarians for more information.
World Book Day Thursday 6th March 2014
The English team and the librarians are running lots of events and activities next week to celebrate World Book Day:
- Borrow a book from the library in March and be entered into a special World Book Day prize draw! There will be lots of new books and Manga in the library from next week
- Head to the library to contribute to our World Book Day book review display –‘Pop Open a Good Book’ – there will be house points awarded for all reviews displayed
- Participate in World Book Day quizzes during your library sessions (Years 7-9)
- Take part in the Readathon challenge
- Listen to your teachers read a short story in lessons during the day on Thursday (Year 7)
- Bring your lunch and a good read to the Gateway building during lunchtimes next week: there will be a special World Book Day reading room open for you
- Finally, look out for your £1 book token in registers next week. The token is valid for use in March only and can be used at all bookshops. Alternatively it can be used to purchase a special £1 World Book Day book, available from the school library.
Happy World Book Day!
Mrs F Stephenson